Monday, September 22, 2014

sweet memories Monday


I was driving home this morning and we passed by a cherry picker on Frank road.  I asked Drew if he remembered being obsessed with them as a young boy, and of course he didn't, but it was a sweet memory for us and we laughed about it.

That got me to thinking that I might start writing about some of my favorite memories from their younger days...it's good to document things, and I have a lot of stuff written down in my journal, but I have forgotten so much over the years.  

Our little talk in the car led me to remembering some other sweet things about the other boys.

Like when Jonah was a toddler, he loved this movie we had about firetrucks.  His dad was a volunteer firefighter at the time, so it made sense that he was obsessed.  The movie was a really cheesy movie someone gave us, made by a company called Little Hardhats.  There were a series of movies, and we tried a couple more, one about garbage trucks and one about land-moving machines.  Those were not as well loved, though, like this one on firetrucks.  We must have watched that thing a thousand times.  Sometimes multiple times in a row.  

Todd and I were laughing just a few days ago, about how Noah used to call every animal that he saw a kitty.  We'd be driving on the road and pass cows, and Noah would be saying, "Kittyyyyyyyy!" from the backseat.  Because that's how he said the word.  :)  

Graham was never really into one certain thing like some of the other boys, but wherever adults were, Graham wanted to be there too.  I remember painting the foyer in our old home, and Graham "helped" me.  He was mesmerized by the ladder and the pretty green paint I was using.  He was such a good kid~I could have left him alone with five of his favorite colors in open paint cans and told him not to touch it, and he wouldn't.  He always listened so well and he loved helping me...probably because he had a younger brother at the grand old age of one.  He doesn't remember ever not having Drew around, and I love that.

I also remember thinking they would never outgrow a certain age.  I read a quote that I tell people about all the time, and I can't remember who said it, but I'll share it here.

The days are long, but the years are short.

That is the truest thing!  When your kids are young and you have no life, when you're potty-training, when they're newborns, when they can't tell you what hurts, when the food on the floor or the high chair tray is greater than the amount of food that made it into their little tummies, when you don't think you will ever get out of your house easily ever again, remember that the days are long, but the years are short.

My favorite Christian fiction author wrote a book that I loved, Let Me Hold You Longer.  It's a book about their lasts, instead of the firsts that we are always so quick to write down, and it helps me to slow down and soak up the moments.  

Because before you know it... 

...I suddenly realized that one of them no longer sleeps with his lovey.  When did that happen?!  I cannot even begin to tell you.  And I thought for sure he'd be sleeping with that thing in his college years.  ;)

...I don't remember when I last held them and cuddled them in my lap.

...I can't remember the last time they brought me a new rock for my collection of rocks they gave me.

...I'll start getting college brochures in the mail.  

Time really does fly.  My encouragement from this today is a reminder to myself, and to anybody who reads this: slow down and enjoy this time.  I've become increasingly more aware that my days with all four of them in my house are growing fewer and fewer.  The house will be messy, and someday maybe I can have a perfect home, but for now, I will enjoy the mess that makes our home, home. 

(I will re-read this when I see that they forgot to make their beds.  Again.)  

Love to all.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are saying. I have been savoring every single moment with these three kiddos. Having Logan start his senior year really made me realize just how fast their childhood years are flying by. I know you treasure homeschooling and getting to spend even more precious time with them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is one of the thousand things I love about homeschooling! We have created so many memories these past two years. And they don't miss a thing about their school days, even with all the fun that goes on, like homecoming. :) Makes my heart so happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...