Tuesday, August 12, 2014

when bad things happen

On a day when our news is filled with such terror and tragedy in some parts of this world, what are we to do with that information?

I think first and foremost, we should take it to God.  The older I get, the more I realize that instead of talking about it and rehashing it over and over, just to take it straight to Him in prayer.  That sounds like it could be a song, huh?  It is, in fact.

"Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer."

I have learned the importance of taking things like this to God through some encouragement we received this summer through my homeschool group, Renewed Moms.

Another thing that I am doing is that I am using this information as a teaching opportunity for my kids.  One thing that is utterly terrible right now is what is happening in Iraq to the Christian people.  Horrific things that I won't even write on here, because you all know what I am talking about.  We're taking the time to pray for the persecuted people over there and it's showing them that we are a privileged people in America.

It's teaching them empathy.

Another news story we have talked about today was Robin Williams.  This story was a huge lesson for them, in that no matter how wealthy and famous a person is, if you don't have Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you will not find your self worth in anything but Him.  You won't find worth in alcohol or drugs or any other kind of addiction.  It's one thing to have an addiction, it's something else to have an addiction while battling depression.  It's okay to acknowledge that you need medicine and to take that medicine and to get the help you need.  But this man was not alone in his life~it might have seemed like that, but none of us are ever alone.  Jesus is right there, if only we accept Him and confess our sin and our need for Him in our lives.

In homeschooling my kids and in a day and age that is so terribly sad for our world, I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to do this, and I thank God for it every single day.

I know not everyone is called to homeschool, but I am and for our family, this works best in our lives.  This post isn't about trying to talk you into taking your kids out of public school, trust me.  We had great experiences at our affluent schools here in The Ville, but God called me to homeschool.

My point in this post is this~talk to your kids about this stuff.  Chances are if you don't, someone else will.  Take the negative and try and put a life lesson in it, or look for the good, or just thank God that He is sovereign and in control.  I find that the more I shelter or hide my kids from things, the more appealing it is to them.  I would much rather be the one to have these kinds of heart to heart conversations with my boys, and I know much of you would agree.

Remember to take the time to pray for our world right now, too.  Find some Scriptures and pray them over your family, over our country, her leaders and our state and local leaders.  One of the passages I like to pray is found in Ephesians 6, and it's all about putting on the armor of God.

Also, it's okay to keep the television turned off.  I'm not even turning the thing on much nowadays, except maybe for the couple hours yesterday, when we were done with school and wanted to watch Shark Week on Discovery or Top Gear on the BBC channel.  (Mom of boys problems.)  Even last night we kept it off...we went to visit a friend, then came home to play cards.  After our two games, we went to bed.

I encourage you to just pray~it's okay to be sad, it is not okay to be fearful.  God did not give us a spirit of fear, but one of power, of love and of sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).  If you're fearful, pray this verse.  And take comfort in the fact that God is in control.  Even in tough times, He never leaves us, never forsakes us, and for that I am thankful.


Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

a day in the life post on a Tuesday

  Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm taking notes from Joanne and Maria ; I decided to write my version of a day in the life post. This will h...