Wednesday, July 2, 2014

yesterday & a recipe

Good morning!  It's funny how we settle into a routine, without ever really meaning to.  My morning routine for the past four or five weeks has consisted of reading my Bible while drinking my first cup of coffee, then I peruse Facebook, I read the blogs I love most, then on most mornings I write on my own.  After that, I get up to start my day...that will consist starting the dryer, running the dishwasher and getting dressed.

Have I mentioned how much I love routine?  I do...I am a tiny bit of a control freak.  My husband would argue that I am a HUGE control freak, but he usually doesn't read this, so don't tell him.  ;)

Yesterday we swam.  My neighbor's pool is finally starting to warm up!  Their yard stays in the shade most of the day, so their pool doesn't reach the eighties until later in June.  I cannot swim if it's below eighty.  Right now, I think it's eighty-two...that's cold enough that it still takes my breath away, but when it's hot out, I love a cold pool.  I never like it when it feels like bathwater.

I took this picture of the ones who swam with me yesterday.


I laughed because Alex tripped and belly-flopped right into the water.  He came up saying, "Ouch!".

Did you know that boys don't just like to swim?  They insist on swimming and playing games.  Yesterday, one game they played was "making the cut", which they based off the tv show about special ops training for the military.  They wanted to see who could tread water the longest.  Alex won...I think he was able to tread for almost ten minutes.

I was trying to think about what to have for dinner last night when I thought about breakfast.  That is one of my favorite dinners and we haven't had it in ages.  So I made eggs, sausage, chocolate chip pancakes, biscuits and homemade chocolate gravy.


After posting the above picture on social media, I had several people ask for the recipe.  I will try to guess-timate the measurements for those interested.  (I don't have a "real" recipe because my mom doesn't have one.  She had to guess, too.)

Chocolate Gravy:
in medium saucepan, add 1&1/2 cups of sugar
4 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of flour
water to cover all the ingredients, probably about 1&1/2 to 2 cups

Cook on high heat, whisking constantly.  As it starts to boil, you should feel the gravy start to thicken up.  When that happens, pull off the eye and enjoy!  Mine didn't thicken enough last night, so I had to add another tablespoon of flour while it was almost at the boiling point...I whisked it in to get all the lumps out.

Well, laundry calls.  I need to go get started on all my stuff.  ;)  I hope you have a wonderful day!  Love to all.

No comments:

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...