Thursday, May 29, 2014

the purpose of reading the Bible

Perhaps my most favorite thing about the summer season is the quiet time I am able to leisurely enjoy each morning.  I have this time on school mornings, too, but that time always feels a little more rushed that what I would normally prefer.  I like to bask in the quietness while I read the word of God.  I also love the silence that surrounds me as I pour out my heart to Him.


I was thrilled when I saw that I was opening my chronological Bible up to Proverbs.  I love this book that is so full of wisdom and good advice.  In fact, it says that there in the second verse of chapter one, the purpose of this book is "to know wisdom and instruction, to perceive words of understanding."  The Bible is truly the book of all books~it's the instruction manual for life.  I didn't always know this, and I didn't always soak up the words like I do now, but one of the things reading through the Bible teaches is Bible literacy.  When we know the word of God, we know God.

And when we know God, we can teach our children to know Him.  I heard a quote once that struck me, and it was that our children only have as much of God as we (the moms) do.

Hearing that quote made me think, "What do my kids see me doing the most?  Do they see me browsing on Facebook?  (Yes.)  Do they see me doing nothing but watching my favorite news show each morning?  (Sometimes.)  Do they see me spending quality time with my Creator?  (Yes.)"  I'm sure most people already know this, but kids are sponges and they will do what they see their parents doing.  Whether that something is good or bad, they will mimic the behavior they see.

If I only say one important thing on this blog today, let it be this: Make much out of the Lord.  Read His word, praise Him, thank Him, ask for His forgiveness, pour out your heart to Him in front of your kids.  Then they will know that they, too, can do that, and that He will hear every word they utter.  And if the Lord gives you a direct answer to something you have prayed for, tell that to your kids!  I think of the verses in Deuteronomy that tell us to bind these words on our hearts, on our doorposts and talk about them night and day.

I didn't intend for this to be the topic of my blog post today, but I'll go with it.  I know sometimes the lighthearted posts are more fun to read and for me to write, but I pray that this encourages someone to pick up their Bible.  I said earlier that I didn't always read my Bible like I do now, but only because I didn't have anyone telling me how important it was.  So...have you had some time with the Lord today?  If you're looking for a place to read, the book of Proverbs is wonderful!  It's where I was this morning.  I also personally love the book of Colossians.

If you have YouVersion on your phone, you can use one of their reading plans.  The important thing is to just read the Bible.  I promise, it will be time well spent.  Love to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites, 4.26.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...