Thursday, July 11, 2013

why I memorize Scripture

I have had people ask me why I memorize Scripture.  Especially in today's times when we have the Bible at our fingertips~whether that be the many translations we have laying around our homes or the Bible apps we use on our phones.

The answer is easy: I memorize Scripture so that when I am scared or anxious or fearful about something or a situation, I can pray aloud to God a certain passage of Scripture. 

Do you have to pray Scripture to God?  I don't think there is a right or a wrong way to pray.  However, I do believe something my sweet friend and Bible study teacher said this morning in Bible study.  That is, that by praying God's word back to Him, we are taking our thoughts captive and making them obedient to Him. (Taken from 2 Corinthians 10:5)

For example, if I am worried about money, I know that in Philippians 4:6 and 7, Paul instructs us not to worry about anything, but to pray about everything.  He urges us to tell God what we need and to thank Him for all He's done.  When we do that, we experience the peace of God, which exceeds anything we can understand.  And that peace guards our hearts and minds as we live in Christ Jesus. 

Another example is when my kids are scared during thunderstorms or tornado-producing weather.  I tell them that we know that God alone is our refuge and our place of safety.  He is our God and we trust Him!  He covers us with His feathers and He shelters us with His wings.  His faithful promises are our armor and our protection.  (Taken from Psalm 91:2-4)

So you see, there's no great theological reason as to why I do this.  I memorize His word so I can easily recall it during the times when I need it.  Which is all the time.  Like in the early hours of this morning, for some crazy reason, I woke up at four a.m.  I could NOT go back to sleep to save my life.  As I was laying there in bed, I started thinking of all the things I need to remember to do before Summer is over.  The more I thought, the more anxious I became.  The more anxious I became, the more panic-y I started to get. 

I wish I could tell you that I remembered why I memorize Scripture and quoted His word back to Him, but I didn't.  I did, however, pray.  I also had to get up and go read for a while, just so my mind would stop racing.  (That is why I read in bed, my friends.  To make my mind slow down.)  I finally fell back to sleep, and this morning as I was praying, it dawned on me that I should have started quoting Scripture. 

I pray that I don't get another chance, because this is the second morning this week that this has happened to me, but if I do get the chance, I'm praying that the Lord will remind me of this.

Do you memorize Scripture?  Why?  For those who have been leaving comment "love", thank you!  Don't be shy and keep it coming!

Love to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. I used to memorize scripture. I was never so good at remembering parts by heart as I have been the lessons, but the older I get the more I try again and want to, so that I can apply God's word to our life and lead my children by example.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lea! This was something I started about four years ago, but two years ago is when I became more serious about it. I have notebooks, journals and index cards with verses everywhere~in my purse, my kitchen, my laundry room, and if I'm just sitting and not doing anything, I pull them out and see if I can remember them. Some are harder than others, though. ;)

    I involve my boys, too. I pray I'm teaching them in the way they should go! Thank you for reading!! God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...