Thursday, May 9, 2013

moments from today

My emotions have run the gamut today.  I've been happy, sad, full of joy at seeing the sister I haven't seen in almost a year, full of awe, frustrated and weepy.

Sometimes it sucks being a girl.

I've also been busy today.  I had to run to Goodwill to drop off some stuff from my clean-out sessions this week, then I had to run Graham and Drew to Germantown for praise band practice.  After I dropped them off, I went to the hospital.

Before you freak out, here's why:

My sisters, Lisa and Debi, are my half sisters.  Their elderly daddy took a bad fall over the weekend and was taken to the ER on Monday.  He has been there ever since, so on Tuesday, Debi flew in from Denver to help Lisa.

I'm so glad she got to get a break and come home, but this wasn't the way I'd imagined it happening.  {I had just told her last Friday that I desperately missed her and hope she could come home for a few days.}

So, after dropping the older boys off, I took her a diet coke and her daddy a milkshake from Chick Fil A.  That's where the happy and full of joy part come in~it was so good seeing her!!  I'm also always in awe of her beauty, and today was no different.  Her eyes are this insanely gorgeous shade of blue.  Here's a picture of my sisters and I from last summer.  The young one in the front is my niece, Erika.


Left to right is Trish, me, Lisa, Debi {under Lisa}, Erika {my niece} and my beautiful Mom.

This picture makes me want to go back to the beach!  But only with these people.  Sigh.

And about going to the hospital today, y'all...it is so sad to see someone elderly decline.  Especially when it involves memory loss.  It broke my heart seeing our other "Papa" like that.  My boys always called him "Papa", just like his other grandkids.  ;)

I was also frustrated today because of some drama that went on with my older boys, but all is well now.  I love life lessons, and today was a good one.  It was about apologizing, and how sometimes you have to be the one who starts it.  I also told them that sometimes, even though people are wrong, they might never apologize.  Some people are just like that, though I'm happy to say that everyone involved today apologized.

I see God in every single little area of our day to day lives, and He is so good.

The weepy part came after dinner.  My sister sent me a text saying how hard it was to leave her daddy in the nursing home today.  {They discharged him from the hospital, but he went straight to a nursing home here in The Ville.}  My heart breaks for them, because I cannot imagine leaving my daddy in a place like that.  Not that it's bad, it's not!  It's just so, so, so sad.  I remember when my Mom and I had to take my grandmother there when she lived with us.  It was right before Todd and I got married, and it broke my heart when it came time to leave her there.

And so here I sit, typing this and boohooing.  I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.  Please pray for my sisters, Lisa and Debi.  They're going to need lots of comfort and peace in the next several days, and I pray that God gives them peace of mind, as well.  I know that someday Trish and I might have to face this with our precious Daddy, and I don't look forward to it.  I pray we never have to~I just pray that the good Lord takes him before he gets to that point.

Well, I didn't mean to unload on here, but I'm kinda glad I did.  Thanks for reading.  Love to all.


5 comments:

Phyllis said...

I am sorry to hear about Jerry but it is a good thing that he will now be fed well and taken care of. I will be praying for Lisa and Debi. Sounds like a pretty rough day but that God helped you through it all. You know I love you and am here for you.

Phyllis said...

I am sorry to hear about Jerry but it is a good thing that he will now be fed well and taken care of. I will be praying for Lisa and Debi. Sounds like a pretty rough day but that God helped you through it all. You know I love you and am here for you.

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Thank you, Phyllis! It's nice knowing I can always count on you to pray. :) After I wrote this, I went over to Lisa's house and just sat and cried with them. I needed that...don't know if it helped them, but nobody ever cries alone in my presence. Love you!

Cheryl L. Stansberry said...

What a beautiful picture of all of you. I pray you find peace and strength with all you are going through. It's comforting to know that our God is Sovereign and that He is ever present especially in the difficult times. God bless you!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Thank you, Cheryl! I do take comfort in that, and so do my sisters. Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog! God bless!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...