Thursday, April 11, 2013

showers of blessings

I know, I know, it sounds cliche.  But really~I'm thanking God for all this rain we have today.  My prayer is that it washes away all the pollen that is making my poor husband and oldest son {and so many other people!} so miserable.  I was in a Bible study once that talked about times of rain~and to view "rain" as spiritual blessings.  Whether we were going through a rainy season or drought, she encouraged us to stay focused on Him, to persevere.

It's so easy to call out to God in the bad times...who doesn't?  How many times have you been asked by someone who doesn't go to church to pray for them?  It just comes natural~like breathing.  And if they don't go to church, pray that the Lord uses that opportunity to grab their attention! 

But what about in the good times?  The statement, "What if you wake up tomorrow with only the things you thanked God for today?" comes to mind. 

I get that~it's so easy, when all is going well, we're in a season of "rain", we're healthy, work and school are great~sometimes it's easy to forget to pray during those times.  I've been guilty of this, myself.  It's in times like this that we should be most thankful.  On my journey of memorizing Scripture, the first one I memorized was from James:

"All generous giving and every perfect gift comes down from the Father of lights, with Whom there is no variation or the slightest hint of change."  James 1:17

All good things are from Him~and it's our job to remember that it's all through Him and to Him.  I think God is teaching me something about prayer.  I have an accountability/prayer partner that I am supposed to report to daily, even though I haven't been real faithful in the last seven days.  We hold each other accountable for spending quiet time alone with God every single day.  {We don't contact one another on weekends, though.}  We tell what we've read in the Bible for that day and we pray for each other.  The prayers can be personal, or for our families or a family member...we're not real structured.  ;) 

It's become so important for me to be able to call this sweet friend.  And if we can't call, we text.  We both prefer actual talking, though, and it has strengthened our friendship in being transparent with each other. 

If you don't do this, may I encourage you to start?  Everyone needs an Aimee.  ;)  {Her name is Aimee.}  I take comfort in knowing that if I call her to pray, she will drop everything and do it RIGHT THEN.  And I do the same for her.  Her name is written over and over and over in my journal and in my Bible...God often brings her to my mind during my quiet time. 

I would love to start a prayer group.  I don't think we pray enough, and I know for certain that we don't make it priority!  Especially as busy wives and moms.  Especially especially as busy wives and HOMESCHOOL moms.  But we should make it priority.  There is something so sweet about praying with our sisters in Christ. 

I'm re~reading my all time favorite series of books ever written, The Yada Yada Prayer Group books by Neta Jackson.  I think I love them because they're all about a group of diverse women, from different backgrounds, races and denominations, who meet together to pray each week.  They're undignified.  Uninhibited.  The way I want to be all the time. 

God is working in me.  He is nowhere near finished, and I know He never will be.  I always want to be growing in our relationship.  I don't ever want to be content with where I am in life, and I know I'll never NOT need Him desperately.

There is a song by Avalon that I love that I'm going to leave you with.  It's sort of a cheesy video, but listen to the lyrics~He truly is my everything. 

Love to all. 


No comments:

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...