Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Why I Love Homeschooling (consider this day 97)

Before I type another sentence, I have to say how good God is.  When we made our decision to un-enroll the little boys from their local elementary school, there were days when I seriously doubted that decision.  I was afraid that I was harming them by taking them out of public school, I was terribly afraid that they were going to miss their friends, and all that goes with being in a brick and mortar school.

Can I tell you how wrong I was?

Never in a million years, would I have guessed that I would love it so much.  And how far I've had to step out of my comfort zone.  Or how much faith it requires to be able to do this.  It's a daily renewal, too, this committing of our day to God.  Everything can be going so wrong, and all of a sudden I'll remember that we forgot to pray.

It's funny how God works.

I am so thankful to have my boys at home with me.  I kind of thought that, by now, I would be sick of having them around twenty-four/seven.  But that's not the case at all.  In being around me all the time, they've changed the way they treat one another.  They don't argue as much, they've learned to adapt to the way that our day works.  There are days that are bad, though, I would be remiss if I didn't write that.  But on those days, I am thankful that I am still loved, not only by God, but by them.  On those days, I am thankful for God's mercies, and fresh starts.

All that being said, I thought I would share a list of why I love the way we "do" school.

I love them being home because, for some crazy reason, I prepare them better meals.

Since we've started homeschooling all four of the boys, I no longer feel rushed.

I love that hours go by and their electronics lay nearby, untouched.

And hours will go by with our television turned off.

I love that, since they've all been home, my house is cleaner.  (I know...it doesn't make sense.)

I love the fact that they all regularly ask me, "Mom, do you need me to do anything?"

And that each day they help me fold clothes, empty and load the dishwasher.

I love that when the schoolwork has been completed, they don't go sit in front of the tv or play video games. Instead, they go outside to walk the dogs, or shoot hoops, or jump on the trampoline.

I love that even the older two boys still use their imaginations.  Today, for instance, they're working on some sort of trampoline routine they want Todd and me to see after dinner.  Jonah and Drew have even gone as far as planning out their outfits and face paint.

I love that when I took them out of public school, I saw subtle changes in their behavior.  Even though I didn't think Graham and Drew were being negatively affected, they were.  It just didn't become evident until they didn't go anymore.

I love that they have all started taking an interest in cooking.  Most afternoons when I'm preparing dinner, they help me mix, stir or chop whatever needs to be done.

I love that Graham and Drew have made some really nice friends though our homeschool group.

I could list more, but for now, I'll stop.  We need to get going on our day, once again.  I hope you're having a great Tuesday~the weather is gorgeous today in The Ville.  I hope you get to enjoy it in some way today.

Love to all.

p.s.  I leave you with an image of what an average day might look like:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...