Monday, January 14, 2013

day 75, Monday

I have MUCH to be thankful for today.  I do everyday, but particularly on this day.  I made sort of an allusive statement on this blog yesterday, and I don't know how many of you caught on that I said what I did.  I don't even know who reads this other than family, but whatever.  Anyway, moving on.

After MUCH prayer and petition and time of being still before God, we decided that today was the day we would un-enroll Graham and Drew from their public middle school, and that I would begin homeschooling them along with their younger brothers.  I know I haven't talked about it on here, on purpose, and as rash as it may seem, I assure you it was not.  It's been in the forefront of our minds since November.  Before that really, but particularly from that month on. 

I also need to say that nothing happened to lead us to this decision.  I am forever thankful for all the amazing teachers, assistants and administrators God placed in the lives of my kids.  They all had a part in making my kids who they are.  But God planted in me a desire to homeschool all of my kids way back when Jonah and Noah were in kindergarten.  I've been running in fear ever since that day.  I tried telling God "no", but for some crazy reason, He wouldn't listen.  ;)  I let fear hold me back on allowing Graham and Drew to go to middle school for half this school year, too.  I tried to let them have a say-so, but I really should have just been the parent and said, "This is what we're going to do." 

I didn't do that, and God has been showing me why that was wrong ever since that day.  Fear is no longer running my life.  God is in control, and I know that with Him by my side, I can do all things through Him who gives me strength (Phil. 4:18). 

I know that there will be many skeptics who will feel compelled to give me their input on why I'm wrong about this decision.  And that is perfectly fine.  I will hear their advice, but I will do what is the best for my family.  They should know, though, that we're living in difficult times.  This is not a time that I want my kids to be in public schools~not only because of our government, but because of the school merging that is taking place in Memphis with our county schools.  I wish I could send each of my friends and family a text and say all this, but I can't...I mean, I could, but I would be on the phone all day, and I don't want to be on the phone all day. 

So, today, on this seventy-fifth day of being intentionally thankful, I am so thankful that God not only hears my prayers, but that He leads me in His ways and in His truths. 

I also would like to issue a statement here: Homeschooling is not for everyone.  God either calls you to it, or He doesn't.  And whatever your family does is perfectly fine.  Please don't ever think I will be in judgement of you and your decision on how your child receives their education. That being said, I ask that you not judge me, for the same reason.  I am a little nervous, I won't lie, about this decision, but I know that it's the right decision.  I know that I will be equipped with every bit of knowledge that I need, and that God will be the One equipping me.  He has already richly provided for our family, and I know He will continue to do so. 

I know this is shocking to some of you who read this, but it'll all be okay.  I promise.  God gave me a verse this morning through my devotion that I would like to share with you:

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped.   Psalm 28:7

Thank you for reading~all three of you.  ;)  Love to all. 


5 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you and I admire you decision. Your blog is always so inspirational. God is so faithful. I can't wait to hear and see how wonderfully homeschooling goes for all 4 of your boys. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for ALWAYS encouraging me! It means so much...much more than I could ever express, probably. :) I can't wait to tell you how it's going! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire parents who homeschool their children. I went to public school and had I been home schooled, I would have had a better chance at focusing on education, than focusing on hanging out with the wrong crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you, mostly for doing what God has called of you. I will be praying for you and the boys. I don't have a doubt at all you will do fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jolie and Katie~thank you SO MUCH for all your encouragement! I won't lie~there are times (like last night) when I will doubt myself and my abilities to be able to do all four, but I know without a shadow of a doubt that God will give me the strength and knowledge I need. I have to keep reminding myself of that. Daily. Hourly. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I hope your week is going well. Mine is—it's actually flying right by. I will say that I wish this part would...