Monday, November 5, 2012

gratitude, days 3 & 4

Once again, the Facebook statuses are blessing me!  I love all these thankful posts, and I love that some of them are so shocking to me.  You never know what someone might say. 

On day three (Saturday), I wrote that I was grateful that God gave me my husband.  I say "God gave me him" because He creates for us our perfect-for-me mate.  I started my relationship with my husband as a friend.  I'm glad we started that way because when the kids are grown and married, we will still have something in common.  We got along great before our kids, and that will continue afterward.  We married young, and started our family young.  For us, it's worked great and we are on year sixteen of being married!

There are times when I look at him, and his face is more familiar to me than my own.  Our marriage is not perfect, but it does improve each day.  I pray that we never be idle.  I pray that we always be growing closer and closer to one another, all with the Lord in the middle of us.  I once heard a pastor say that we should think of marriage as a triangle, with the couple at the two bottom corners and God at the top point.  As the couple moves up that triangle, they grow closer to God, and they grow closer to each other.  That is how I picture us.  

On day four, I wrote that I was thankful for my firstborn son, Graham.  I will never forget the overwhelming love I felt for him as I first laid eyes on him.  I used to pick him up out of his crib while he was sleeping, just so I could cuddle him.  He was perfectly beautiful.  The same rings true today, thirteen and a half years later.  The cool thing is that he is also perfectly beautiful on the inside. 

When he was in second grade at the elementary school, one day in walking to his classroom, he noticed a special needs' little girl crying.  There was aid next to her and Graham asked the aid what was wrong.  When the aid told Graham that she was upset because her mom had forgotten to pack her a snack, without even blinking, Graham handed the little girl his snack.  I love that has always been like that; one who puts the needs of others above his own. 

The attributes I've studied on these two days were the wisdom of God, and once again, the love of God. 

I don't think I can say enough on the love of God.  Not only on His love for us, but for us to reflect that love to others.  His greatest commandment is for us to love one another.  Over and over and over His word says that in the New Testament.  I pray that God will give me the wisdom to reach out to those around me and to love them like He loves me.

Whether that be through this blog, through my Facebook account, over the phone or in a hug I might give my loved ones, I pray that He uses me to reach those around me.  It's my challenge for myself today, and everyday. 

Love to all. 

No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...