Wednesday, October 3, 2012

hump day

I was going to post some pictures from our day, but I just realized I didn't take any.  It's a rare occasion, the day that I don't take pictures. 

Did you know that photography is one of my hobbies?  It always has been one of my most favorite things to do.  When I was a young girl, my dad would always give me his camera to capture all the images from our trips.  I was cleaning out my cedar chest the other day and came across a bunch of old photographs of me as a youngster, and guess what was slung around my neck? 

You guessed it.  My dad's trusty old camera.  :-)  Considering I was about eight in the first picture I found that had me with it hung around my neck (it was a pic my stepmom took with her own camera), I'd say it's been a life long hobby.

Moving on.

Tomorrow, my amazingly handsome, brilliant and wonderful hubby and I celebrate sixteen years of wedded bliss!  Well, it wasn't all wedded bliss, but it was definitely wedded.  ;-)  More on our anniversary tomorrow.

The weather has been ahhhhhmaazing the past few days!  As I type this, it's a loverly seventy-five degrees outside!  That is almost perfection!  Well, it would be if it were a few degrees cooler, but still, I'll take it!

Today was one of those magical homeschool days that rarely happens.  Jonah finished his work at eleven fifty this morning.  In a mere three hours, he had completed God's Gift of Language, Spelling (a new list that we started today, they had to write ten of the words three times each on their dry erase boards), Arithmetic (they call it that), Science, The History of our United States, a reading skills story and questions and a page in their "My State" journal. 

Shut up.  I kid you not.  And Noah finished at twelve thirty.  It was amazing. 

We even learned a new concept in math today. 

At one o'clock we had finished all that work, eaten lunch, cleaned the kitchen, and with my Fall candles lit, we all settled down for some quiet time to read our books.  On top of all of his work, Jonah also read pages fifty through two hundred seventeen in his book.  He finished it and will start working on his book report Friday. 

It took Noah almost that long to settle on a book.  God love him, he does not enjoy reading, so I let him pick any book he wanted, as long as it was at least on his reading level or above, and whether it was fiction of non-fiction.  He prefers non-fiction. 

Am I mean to make them do a book report?  I need to know that they know how to take what they've read and transfer the information about the book into paragraph form.  I'm not sure they can do that on their own, so we will spend some time working on it all together.  They've never had to do a "real" book report.  They have had to do watered-down versions of book reports, but come middle school, they had better know how to write! 

Hopefully they're learning. 

It's a definite process. 

How was your day?!  For those who have been commenting, thank you!  Keep on sharing the love and leave some more!  The "1 Comment" phrase makes my day.  :-)  Love to all and happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I love to homeschool my babies! the day goes by so much faster, and they have plenty of time for other things to do! There is of course the typical struggles you have with homeschooling, but the benefits totally outweigh the non-benefits.
    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...