Wednesday, August 29, 2012

about that homeschool thing

I purposely haven't posted much lately, and especially about the whole homeschool thing.  I can't believe it's only been a week since Todd and I made another huge decision, but tomorrow morning marks one week ago that we had the big talk.

I had gotten a phone call from their assigned teacher, Mrs. Bible, and as much as I loved her and her name, she said some things that threw up red flags for me.  One was about truancy.  She said that if they failed to log in for three days in a row, K12 would send a truant officer to my house.  Then she started talking about doctors' notes for sick days, and make up work, and all the while I'm thinking, "If I have to report this heavily to someone, why not just send them back to a regular brick and mortar elementary school?"

Because this was no different.  Except that we were prisoner to my house and the computer.

About that~I knew that they would have to be in front of a computer everyday, but I had no idea it would be for that long of a time period.  I also knew that a certain amount of hours were required each week for attendance, but again, I had no idea it would actually take six and a half hours of work everyday.

Why was this program any different than a brick and mortar school?

So, between the statements about absences and make-up days and truancy officers, and the whole issue of time and being chained to our house and computer, I had the big talk with Todd.

I told him all my concerns and after much study on my part and researching of different homeschool curriculums, we decided to order A Beka for Jonah and Noah.  This came after much thought and discussion between us.  The curriculum is on the expensive side and the shipping price is near ridiculous, so Todd found out that if I attended a webinar today, we would get shipping at no cost.

We both logged in to the webinar today and after it was over, he placed the order online.  Hopefully our new curriculum will be here next week.  Some of my other homeschooling friends haven't started yet either.

Another huge blessing is that tomorrow morning at nine thirty, Jonah and Noah will start their enrichment classes at Germantown Presbyterian.  I don't know if they're really called  enrichment, but I thought it had a nice ring.  They are taking Time Travelers (a science-y class), Continental Cooking (a math and geography class) and Flashlight Reading.

Don't those sound amazing?!

While they're in class, I will also be in class.  It's required of the Mom's whose kids attend, that she go to a Bible study.  So, I will begin my much-waited for Bible study class.  It's been too long since my last one, and I am itching to get back into studying God's word!  I can't wait.  I have no idea what it will be like, but we'll be studying the book of Romans.  I will have homework each week, too, which I will do while Jonah and Noah do their independent study time.

I'm praying that they have some independent study time.

I'm going from assisting the kids along in their work to being their teacher, all in a short period of time.  There are days I don't feel qualified enough, but then I remind myself that who is more qualified to educate my own children than me, THEIR OWN MOTHER?!

The cool thing is that I have seen God's hand throughout all of this, and even in this, He's been making sure that I am trusting in Him to help us along our way.  We're having to dish out kind of a lot of money right now, and I'm not sure how, but we know that God will provide.  He always has in the past, and this occasion is no exception.

If you would like to pray with me about this, I would so appreciate it.  I know He's going to work it all out, in His own timing.  I'm also praying that He provides me with patience on waiting for that timing.  :-)

I know He will.

I've tried not to be too negative about our homeschool situation while we were doing K12.  I didn't know if I thought it was just me or what, but I was really trying to make the best out of what was kind of a bad situation.  There were days that we all cried.  And I'm not saying we won't in the future, but all of the issues I mentioned combined with our frustrations made it so much worse.  I'm blessed that Todd and I saw eye-to-eye on this, though, and that he totally agreed with me on how crazy their guidelines were.

For those of you who know me and who prayed for me, thank you.  It was only your prayers that got me through those days.  And for those I cried on and vented on, thanks for listening.  My precious friend Aimee just so happened to be in the wrong place and time one particularly grueling day.  Poor thing, I bawled my eyes out on her.  I don't know that I've ever done that on anyone other than my husband or parents before.

It was humbling.  Especially when she brought me brownies later on that evening.

I have the greatest friends a girl could ask for, and don't ever think that I take them for granted.  I thank God for them daily.

I'm also thankful for my sweet husband, who listened to me night after night voice my frustrations over wondering whether or not we had done the right thing in removing them from their previous elementary school.

More than anything, though, I am thankful to my sweet Jesus who cares about every single detail of our daily lives.  I love the verse that says, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened for you." (Matthew 7:12)  He truly loves us and cares for us.

Our journey is just beginning, and I cannot wait to see what happens next.  It's already been a thrill ride.  Whoever said being a Christian was boring has clearly never lived life on the edge~because that is exactly what it's like.  You never know when God is going to yank you out of your comfort zone and put you up to something you never thought you were capable of.  And if I fall, well, guess what?

He'll be there with His arms open to catch me.

Here's hoping for a wonderful tomorrow~who knows, Thursday's might become my favorite day, yet!

Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...