Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Just For Fun

I titled last night's post, "Random"...and then it wasn't so much so.  I'll give that random thing another shot.

My poor sweet baby Noah is riddled with poison ivy.  :-(  Apparently he takes after his daddy and is super allergic to the nasty stuff.  And apparently (I like that word today) his tolerance level is high...because only one time did he mention "bumps", and at the time he only had two or three reddish looking bumps.  Well, it has spread, and he has scratched himself silly in a few places on his arms and legs.  But he never said anything again!  You'll be glad to know that we are treating him for this.  Poor little guy. 

Did I mention that Graham got a buzz cut last week?  I shaved off so much hair it was ridiculous.  He looks all cute and is wearing it spiked up in the front everyday. 

Drew is becoming quite good at leaning over and letting me wet his hair in the kitchen sink every morning.  God love him...he sleeps so hard that his hair is usually sticking up all over the place when he gets out of bed each morning. 

I do not love playing cards with Jonah.  He is a sore winner and a sore loser.  I love him, but I do not love playing games with the little turkey.  Fortunately, after a talking-to, he got better. 

Noah told me this morning that he wanted to pay his way to go to football camp this summer.  I hate to break it to him, but it's the same week as our church's VBS.  So that pretty much rules his plan out.  He doesn't even like football that much...why he would want to go is beyond me.  Now Jonah is altogether different.  But he's too cheap and said, "I'm not paying that much money!".  Sigh.  Like father, like son.

I was not in a good mood yesterday.  The weather was overcast and rainy, and it was just a blah Monday morning.  But then I remembered something I heard in my James Bible study...about how we go through times of rain...and how rain can represent blessings.  And all of a sudden, my eyes were clearer and I thanked God not only for the rain in the physical sense, but in my rain in the spiritual sense.  So many people are waiting on their time of rain in their life...and I'd like to tell them to keep the faith!  It's coming...I promise. 

Do you know that prayer works?  I've gotten into this habit of praying over every little detail.  And in doing that, I've had peace and strength in times that maybe I wouldn't have otherwise.  But prayer works!  Have you tried it lately?

I have made a conscience effort to stop complaining.  I think I've gotten better at being positive...I hope so, anyway!  I've even tried to stop "venting" on here...whether it be about packing lunches and snacks for four, or school...I'm not perfect, and there are days when I complain, trust me.  But I think overall, I've gotten at least a tiny bit better.  And on days when I'm not so good at this, I am silent.  On here and on Facebook.

For those of you who read this that don't have kids in school, did you know that May is every bit as crazy as the month of December?  It's like schools try to squeeze in every last bit of anything into one month...and it's insane!  I have little scraps of paper all over my counters...telling me when field day is, what to take on certain days for teacher appreciation week...I feel like I'm going to forget something vitally important.  I guess if I do, the world won't come crumbling down.  Will it?

I've been thinking about homeschooling.  I'm always thinking about it.  I have flip-flopped so many times I've lost count.  My reasons are personal, but Graham and Drew admitted to me that they would prefer to attend their school.  Especially because next school year, they will be in a brand new building.  And they have clubs there that they love being a part of.  I was still on the fence about Jonah and Noah.  They've said that they would like for me to homeschool them, but then they'll change their minds. 

I have prayed and prayed and prayed...with no real, clear answer.  So, for now, my decision is to keep things as they are.  My husband supports whatever decision I come to (he's been a huge part of the decision making process, though), but for now...things will stay the same.  They experience things in school that they can't get anywhere else.  Unfortunately, that includes negative and positive things.  My issues might also come because I'm so closely involved by working there.  I'm just trying to be in the moment for now...and to see what comes next later.  Or, at least on May 24th (their last day of school). 

I know that the world we live in is not perfect, but my natural instinct as a mom is to want to shield and protect them.  However...I can only do that so much.  God alone is our shield, our refuge.  I have to remind myself of this as I want to jump down someone's throat over not handling something in the way that I want!  Some of the negative things they experience at school can be experienced anywhere...even in church.  I have to remember this...and I always keep them covered in prayer.  I guess, in some small way, that is trusting in God.  He alone can do what I cannot.  And if I love my kids...how much MORE does He love them?!?! 

Pretty staggering thought, huh?

Well, I need to finish lunch.  How was this for "random"?  Better?  Happy Tuesday and love to all. 

2 comments:

Shari said...

Well shoot - I thought we could start our own little 4th grade classroom next year! ;-)

You don't complain at all. You are one of the sweetest, most positive people I know. That's why everyone loves being around you!

I hope you have a GREAT week my friend!!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Seriously! We could! Ha! I know K will be so much better off these next few days...it's all about peace of mind.

Thank you, Shari...I'm thankful we've been able to talk so much these past few weeks. And I'm glad that things are looking brighter for y'all now! It'll only get better!

You have a great rest of your week, too...you deserve Starbucks after what you've been through!

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...