Monday, March 26, 2012

weekend things that weren't mentioned

Church is a huge part of our Sunday's.  I love our church...hard to believe it's been almost a year since we've been going there.  Easter Sunday last year was a miserable day for me.  It was the day that was our last at First Assembly of God.  I thought my heart was going to break in two as I hugged precious people I knew I wouldn't seen again for a long time. 

The kids picked Collierville First Baptist to start attending.  We had done everything there for so long, that it just seemed natural.  All their friends from school went there...it just seemed logical.  We had tried this church before, back when Jonah and Noah were only one year old...but it didn't last long.  We never found our spot and returned to F/A.  Who knew we would try it again?

But this time, the church fit us like a glove.  Our first time to go was on a Wednesday night.  Graham went to youth, Drew, Jonah and Noah went to M&M's, and I hung out in the lobby looking over the Sunday school list.  My friends were all around me, inviting me to this class and that class, and all of a sudden...something just clicked in my brain, and I felt like I belonged.  It's funny how women do that for one another.  I pray that I can pay this forward someday...and that I can make someone feel like my friends Laurie, Jenny, Darlene and Kitty made me feel that night.

The kids have loved it ever since.  I jumped in and got involved in Vacation Bible School, and I volunteered to be a counselor at camp.  I love our children's pastor and his wife, Austin and Amy.  They immediately made us feel so welcome...and they embraced Drew, Jonah and Noah with open arms.  I cried many nights after church because I felt so blessed that they loved our kids so much.  I don't think anyone had ever made us feel so welcome. 

Time has gone on, and now, almost a year later, we are still so happy there.  We've talked about joining and are planning on it one of these days.  Noah for sure wants to be baptized (Jonah is not so sure, it turns out), and I plan on being baptized with them (or him...whichever way it happens).  I am actively involved in First Kids' Church and help out regularly.  I have participated in two Bible studies there now and have loved them.  I tried choir for a while, but got back out so I could be in a women's Bible study.  I am planning on helping again at VBS, and I am planning on going as a camp counselor again this summer. 

I love this church.  I love the convicting messages that Brother Chuck preaches, and I love his humility.  He is the best preacher I have ever heard...and the communion services that we have quarterly make me cry every single time.  I love how he came to kids' camp every night last summer and how he let all the kids ask him all these crazy, embarrassing questions.  I love his country accent and his 'good ole boy' demeanor. 

I'm sure this church isn't perfect...and I've heard that if you ever find that perfect church, don't go because you'll ruin it.  But it fits us.  The boys have never been happier, and even Todd has found his niche.  We are in a great Sunday school class and plan on sticking around. 

I guess the point of this post is to encourage you to find a home church if you don't have one.  Everyone needs a place to belong, and it's good for us to fellowship with fellow believers.  The more you go and the more active you are, the more you belong.  It's good to have a group of people that you can call on in your time of need...and it's good to be there for others. 

Do you have a church? 

If you're local and looking for one, try ours.  I'd be happy to sit with you one Sunday morning. 

Happy Monday and love to all. 

No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...