Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What's For Dinner?

Are any of you discouraged and in a rut with cooking?  I was until about four weeks ago, and I vowed to not make the same meal twice in less than a month's time.

Until last night, when my kids requested that we start having tilapia every Monday night.  :)  I do love cooking for kids that love to eat!

I was sitting here, browsing recipes for tonight, when I wondered, what do people do who don't watch the Food Network?  That question led me to writing this post.  I hope it helps you get over that pesky hump.

I love all cooking shows, but I would have to say that my number one favorite is Barefoot Contessa.  She makes really yummy, rustic, and usually healthy meals.  Tonight's dinner idea came from her.  If you want to see what's on tonight's menu, click here.  I am going to make with this yummy dish with cheesy mashed potatoes (per kids' request) and roasted broccoli.  The broccoli has become their new favorite.  It's so easy, and so good!  All I do is drizzle olive oil and salt over the florets. Then I roast them at 400 degrees for about fifteen minutes.

I also love Giada and Rachel Ray.  Although, Giada's recipes are complicated most times (and though I do love cooking, I do not love complicated) and Rachel's don't always appeal to me.  One of my newer favorites is The Pioneer Woman...Ree Drummond.  I watched this past weekend's episode last night and one of these nights, I will try my hand at broccoli cheddar soup served in little bread bowls.

This is still a learning process for me.  I am learning what to keep on hand (olive oil, chicken stock, lots of spices and fresh herbs, fresh veggies, wine for cooking) and what I really don't need anymore (canned or frozen veggies or anything in a box).  It's amazing how much more we look forward to dinner each night.  The kids' expressions are what does it...and the fact that they told me the other night that I might be as good a cook as Big Daddy.  :)  That is quite the accomplishment, I must say.

What's working for you?  Where do you go to search for meal ideas?  Share the love and let me know!  Lest I run out of ideas, heaven forbid!

Happy cooking and love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

What's Up Wednesday

  Happy Wednesday, friends! I'm joining in with  Sheaffer  and  Shay  for today's blog post. I'm going to jump right in, and the...