Wednesday, February 1, 2012

trials

I read something in the Bible so unbelievably encouraging today.  I think I've read it before, but I might not have paid attention.  I paid attention today, though.  It really struck a chord with me, and I thought I would share. 

To begin, let me start by saying that I was reading in Exodus...chapters 13, 14 and 15 (Day 34 of the Chronological Bible in a year plan). 

At this point in Exodus, Moses had done all that the Lord asked him to do.  Pharoah was being stubborn, and despite all the nasty plagues that He kept sending to the Egyptians, Pharoah would not let the Israelites go.  He was still holding them captive.  Finally, he does indeed let them go.  And then changes his mind.  (What a drama queen, right?  I can just picture what he must have looked like.)

At the time when he changed his mind, Moses had been warned by the Lord about what was going to happen.  Moses was instructed to guide the Israelites to cross the Red Sea.  So, Moses held out his staff and the Red Sea parted.  My translation says that an east wind blew and turned the water into dry land (chapter 14, verse 21).  With Pharoah and his Egyptians hot on their heels, they crossed. 

So did Pharoah and his peeps. 

But guess what happened? 

The water that had parted suddenly rushed into a normal ocean again and swept them (the Egyptians) all into the sea. 

I love all the excitement and action. 

But what caught my attention this morning was this: back when the Israelites were afraid of being captured again, the Lord was right there to reassure them.  Let me just share the verses that jumped out at me.

Exodus 14:13, 14 Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today.  The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.  The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."

The Lord will fight for you. 

The Lord will fight for me. 

And those pesky Egyptians?  Well, rest assured that He is greater than them.  Those Egyptians can be any trial you're facing today.  My prayer is that you will take encouragement that the battle you fight isn't yours, but God's.  And He will fight it for you.  He will fight for YOU

Isn't that simply beautiful? 

Love to all. 

2 comments:

Christa said...

Love it! Beautiful promise word from the Lord. =)

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Isn't it awesome? I always love getting a fresh Word from God! :) Love you, sweet friend. I miss you.

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...