Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

I only have thirty seven minutes left of January 1, 2012, and I could not let the day end without a blog post for the new year. 

How did you ring in yours? 

We had some friends over last night...our neighbors and dear friends, Travis and Katie, Myles and Zander and some other of our dearest friends, David and Sunny Stalls, and two of their kiddos, Andy and Holly. 

God has been infinitely good to us and has blessed us with some wonderful couple friends...and two of the sets are the ones listed above.  I don't take them for granted, either...I hope I express to them how much I love them and how thankful I am for their presence in our lives.  Life is not meant to be lived without friends, and we sure do enjoy ours!

In years past, we've gone to another friends' home...Brad and Marcia Coleman.  They invited us this year, but since it's kind of a church function for them and we don't belong to that church anymore, we didn't go.  I just thought it might be a little less awkward if we gracefully declined this year.  So while this was a new way to celebrate for us, it was just as fun.  We had yummy finger foods, we played games, we laughed, my hubby and I got in an argument playing cards (because what would cards be if Todd and I didn't argue at least once???), we sang, we danced, we drank Coke from glass bottles and lots of yummy sparkling grape juice.  It was wonderful. 

Today we slept in.  :(  I do feel moderately guilty about not going to church this morning.  We were actually planning on going...but because I was awake for two hours in the middle of the night, we slept in.  I did read my Bible, though.  I also have prayed and am pondering a new "word" for my year. 

I haven't thought of one yet.  I've got some possibilities, but nothing I've decided fully on.  Any suggestions?  Any of you word-lovers out there?  (I consider myself a word-lover.  Because I love to read and write, and I LOVE to look in a thesaurus.  I know...I'm building myself up for someone to make fun of.  But go ahead, I am totally secure in who I am.  And in WHOSE I am.)

Moving on.

We had our annual New Years' lunch with my Mom and Bill today.  We had ribs, fries (for the kids), black-eyed peas, cabbage, turnip greens and cornbread.  YUM.

We came home around four, and Todd took off to ride with the sheriff's department.  It being New Years and all (and the fact that I really wanted to see my best friend for at least a little while), I invited my sweet friend Amanda over.  Her kids Haley and Eli came with her...and she came bearing food from Carrabba's.  (Her hubby manages the one in The Ville.)  My kids were in heaven.  It's always so fun catching up...and I have fun with her all the time.  Whether we're with our kids or if we're alone.  She's a great gal, and again...I am so thankful for her friendship. 

If you're fortunate enough to have some great gals in your life, be thankful for them.  As much as I love my husband and my boys, there is something about the friendship of a woman that fulfills a need in my heart that nothing else can.  Don't ever take them for granted...not many women are so blessed.  I am especially thankful for this precious lady, because this is the second time God has brought her into my life.  The first time was when I was in seventh grade.  Isn't that cool? 

When her and her kids left, the boys and I decided to have an impromptu game night.  We played Spoons.  Have you ever played that?

How did you celebrate the new year?  Anything fun and exciting?  Any traditions?

Well, happy new year to you and yours!  Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

a weekend recap: girls trip edition

  Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm linking up with Joanne today, which is appropriate, since she was one of the ones on my weekend girls tri...