Monday, January 23, 2012

Goofin' Around & What's For Dinner

:)  I sent my sweet Christa a "helluuuur" picture today of moi.  Wanna see it?


I miss that girl.  We haven't talked in like fourteen years, so after this picture, she sent me one back and then we scheduled a phone date.  :)  And proceeded to talk for 45 minutes.  I don't think we've talked that long since before she got married.  It was loverly. 

We were able to talk because I was at an elementary school while Graham's lacrosse team practiced.  And all the other kids were out playing on the playground.  It was heaven.  We decided to end it when my kids started getting back in the car. 

So, this week is week TWO of being prepared for dinner every single night.  And tonight was a success.  :)  Wanna see?


This was slap-your-mama good.  The fish is tilapia.  I baked it at 375 for seventeen minutes.  I think the package said 12-14, but I started at 12 and had to add five more.  I let it marinade in olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.  Right before putting it into the oven I squeezed more lemon juice on it.  Yummmmmm.

The kids devoured it.  In fact, Noah and Drew had two pieces. 

The veggies and cheese you see are oven roasted potatoes and broccoli.  I saw Giada do some veggies this way yesterday and thought I would try it.  I sprinkled olive oil on the tops of the potatoes and broccoli, then added a little salt and pepper.  I roasted them at 425 for fifteen minutes.  At the last minute I added cheese, hoping that my picky eater(s) would try it.  He did.  And said, "I kinda like it.".  I'll take that.  He also tried some salad and said the same thing.  Progress!  Can you guess which one is picky?

The other sides are black beans and rice.  I don't usually fix two starches, but the potatoes were a last minute add on...and who eats fish without rice?  Well, not us.  Not since we met our little friends from the Children of the World choir a couple years ago. 

Dinner was a hit.  I had to take a picture, because I thought it looked pretty.  :)

Tomorrow night's menu is pork chops, and oven-roasted broccoli and cauliflower.  I might take another picture...but I'll let you know how it turns out.  I don't know how I'm going to do the pork chops yet...any recommendations on what you do to them?  I don't want them to be chewy and rubbery.  Feel free to share the love and comment. 

I'll end with a picture I saw on Facebook posted by Women After God.  I really like this saying...it's close to what my old pastor used to say.  "Attitude is the most important thing you put on everyday." 

Enjoy your family tonight.  Love to all. 


Oh, and the picky eater would be this little guy.


Jonah.  Not Nana.  I love this picture of her, though, so I thought I would post it. 

3 comments:

  1. A couple of the guys in my family love fish, so I think I might have to try making the tilapia. The only seafood I make is shrimp scampi since it is the kids favorite! What kind did you get? Fresh, frozen? What brand? What grocery?
    Ok, I will stop with the questions now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought frozen tilapia fillets from Kroger. The freezer is along the very back wall...to the left of the butcher counter. I think it's the family value brand...it was the cheapest, but it was good. The fillets are kind of thin, so I fixed a couple extra, knowing that two of mine would want them. And sure enough, they did. Feel free to ask!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am allergic to most seafood so I haven't cooked it before. I will have to try this! Just so happens I need to go to the grocery tomorrow after copy time! :) Let's hope it's a light day in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...