Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What are you called to be?

Nehemiah was called to be a builder.  (He's the one that was responsible for rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem.)

Esther was called to be queen "for such a time as this" (Esther 4:14).

Daniel was called to be a man of integrity and a prophet. 

Noah was called to build the ark.

What are you called to be?

For this time in my life I am called to be a child of God, a Godly (submissive) wife and mom to my boys, and a friendly face in the cafeteria at our elementary school. 

I am called to be an attentive ear, a lady that gives hugs to kids that hold their arms out to me, a friend they can talk to, a glimpse of my sweet Jesus.  In fact, I might be the only glimpse of Jesus they ever see.  Am I always happy?  No.  But I try to put a smile on my face just for them. 

I am called to be a daughter that honors my mother and father, a praying friend, a loving sister, an ever-praying aunt.  

No matter where you are in life, there is nothing that is unimportant.  We're called to do our best at all that we do.  I love this verse and pray it over my kids every single day:

"Whatever you do, work at it with all  your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."  Colossians 3:23

I don't care if you're a lawyer, a doctor, a teacher, a sanitation worker, a maintenance person, or a mom of wee ones. 

Whatever you do...work at it with all your heart. 

I remember feeling so useless when my kids were all under the school age.  I felt like the only thing I did day after day was sit in my house, stare at the same walls, clean the kitchen and any other mess, and clean them up.  I was sad that I didn't have friends that were walking through the same thing.  This was during a time that we were not faithful in attending church.  You see the dilemma I faced. 

Looking back, I see the root of my problem...it was that we were not being faithful to God.  We had Him kind of on the side line...there when we needed Him, but forgetting about Him when things were going great.  We prayed only when we remembered and we were not involved in church.  We went one time a week.  On Sunday mornings, and we didn't even stay for Sunday school. 

If only I had those days to do over...I would have mothered with much more love and kindness.  I would have played outside with them more, I wouldn't have made them ask me to go to the park for a picnic. 

But I don't have those days to do over.  The only thing I can do now to make up for all that I lacked back then is to move forward.  To give my husband and my boys my very best.  To cover them in prayer any and every chance I get, to love them with my entire being. 

And (even more importantly) to love God first. 

Because when I love Him first, everything else just falls into place.  When I take the time to pray and spend time reading in His written word, I am communicating with Him.  I'm letting Him guide me through life.  And He speaks to me during this time.  Through His holy word.  He and His word are the foundations of my life. 


I am called to be His daughter.  His treasured possession.  His bride.  A Godly wife.  A Godly mom.  A taxi driver that hauls kids to and from school, who is known to read devotions and to pray over a whole slew of kids that don't belong to me, all done while in the car.  A praying friend.  A respectable daughter.  A holy example of what my Savior looks like. 

What are you called to be?

"And the LORD has declared this day that you are his people, his treasured possession as he promised, and that you are to keep all his commands."  Deuteronomy 26:18


Spend some time with Him today.  Determine what you're called to be. 

Love to all.

3 comments:

Clementsville: Population of 5! said...

I needed to hear every last word of this post!!
Love it and love you!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

I'm so glad, sweet girl! I have lived through it all...I prayed before I wrote it, that God would help me write a blog post b/c it's been so long. For the past few days I've written several but deleted them all...this one is all HIM! Love you, too!

Christa said...

PERFECT WORD. Praise God for speaking through you and inspiring others to live to their full potential for their family and in the Lord. I love you dear friend!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...