Friday, June 10, 2011

Fridays with my Dad

Sounds like a title to a great book, right?  I had the thought while he was here, that I should really start writing down some of what we talk about.  A "memoirs of Dad" kind of thing.  I might do that.  Today's a good day to start. 

First, let me begin with the facts: we are a large family.  Eating out with large families is very expensive.  Even when it's Chik Fil A.  We don't do much of that.  Eating out, I mean. 

One of our favorite things to do together is eat.  My dad and I, I mean.  Ideally, we eat around 11:30 when we're together.  Plenty of time for us to get our food ordered before the grumpies settle in with us.  Yes, we both get grumpy when we don't eat.  At least I know where that quality came from.  ;) 

My kids love Friday's because they know we'll eat out with Pappaw!  Today we all agreed upon Back Yard Burger.  Dad, Drew and I all got hamburgers.  Graham, Jonah, and Noah had chicken.  Go figure. 

We went to the library after lunch...I'm in desperate need of a good book to read!  I don't care for what I'm reading now.  After this trip, we came home.  The boys went upstairs to play, and Dad and I stayed down to talk. 

Some things we always talk about:

How good God is
church (his and mine)
family life
marriage
regrets
his childhood...today, he told me a story about how him and his friend Billy used to ride their bikes for hours to get somewhere.  The farthest they ever made it was to the Mississippi River, and Dad didn't think he'd be able to make it back home.  So they hitch-hiked.  Thankfully, he's alive today to be able to tell me that story!

his military career...he told a story about being stationed on a hospital ship in Japan.  The same friend he mentioned above, Billy, was stationed on another ship.  They would flash messages to each other with a light across the ocean.  He also talked about being on leave in a foreign country, two kids who didn't know much of anything, walking along all these crazy, foreign roads.

Trips we've taken...together, and him and then me.  We talked about his trip to Israel two years ago, and my trip to Iceland one year ago.  The travel bug first bit me at the age of seven.  It hasn't let up since.  I love travel...any and all.  The farther away, the better.  I get that from him, as well.  

This is just a taste of what we touch on.  There are hours that we spend doing nothing but talking.  I love it.  He is truly one of my best friends.  I never dreamed that we would be this close as adults, but we are.  I love him so much.  I cherish each and every minute I get with him.  I have friends whose fathers are no longer alive, and it makes me want to grab him and never let go.  I am so thankful for such a Godly man as a dad.  I am thankful that my kids are getting the best of him, too. 

I will never take one minute with this precious man for granted.  I pray my kids and I are this close when they're older...they're getting a living example of what families should be like.  For these times, and so many more, I am forever grateful. 

God is good.  All the time. 

Love to all.

No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...