Thursday, March 31, 2011

hearing Him through His word

I have failed miserably at the morning routine thing.  :(  I started off in such high hopes this school year, and it went on for the whole first semester.  But then came the downhill slide.  I was doing morning devotions with my kids, and then we would end by praying...by me for their day and anything else they needed to add in. 

I'm not thrilled with the devotions I have, though.  I am in search of two different devotional books...one for middle school aged kids, and the other for elementary aged kids.  Feel free to recommend, by all means!  Someone told me one...but for the life of me, I cannot remember it or where I put the little note I made at that moment.  I know.  It's pitiful.

Anyway, I am challenging myself.  (Feel free to join me.)  I am giving up my morning computer.  I am going to make better use of my mornings...whether it's doing a devotion with them, or reading some of the Word, or just plain 'ole talking.  I am determined to make mornings better at our house...not because they're horrible, but because I think their day goes much better when started off right. 

So...that being said, I've been praying about it.  And I've been searching God's word for a treasure for today.  I came across some great words this morning and thought I would take this time to share.  I even changed the verse and inserted my kids' names and prayed it out loud to God.  I love doing that...and I think He loves it.  His word is so powerful...and so is praying it out loud to Him. 

So, here goes. 

Colossians 1:9-14  "We ask God to give you complete knowledge of His will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding.  10 Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will bear every kind of good fruit.  All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.  11 We also pray that you will be strengthened with all His glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need.  May you be filled with joy, 12 always thanking the Father.  He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to His people, who live in the light.  13 For He has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of His dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins."

That part that says "every kind of good fruit" is talking about the fruits of the Spirit, which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).  

Colossians 2:2-3, 6-7  "I want them to be encouraged and knit together by strong ties of love.  I want them to have complete confidence that they understand God's mysterious plan, which is Christ Himself.  3 In Him lie hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.  (6)  And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow Him.  7 Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him.  Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness."  


Colossians 3:12-17  "Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.  13 Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you.  Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.  14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.  15 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts.  For as members of one body you are called to live in peace.  And always be thankful.  16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives.  Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom He gives.  Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.  17 And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."

I love the part about singing...because I love to sing.  I have some awesome praise and worship time in my kitchen after everyone has left the house.  That being said, I thought I would post a video of one of my favorite worship songs.  It's by Kari Jobe and it's called "Oh the Blood".  I hope you enjoy it.  And I hope you all have a wonderful, happy Thursday.  Smile...He loves you.  Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...