Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What Helps Me Along in my Life

"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You."  Isaiah 26:3

I really love that one...this is the third verse I'm working on memorizing for this year.  It jumped out at me because of that word 'steadfast'.  I love it.  And, it just happens to be my theme word for this year.  I've been talking about Klove's challenge to do this, and at 10:30ish on Monday morning, the word 'faithfulness' popped into my mind.  I've been praying for God to give me a word, and I believe that He did.  When I got home, I pulled out our handy dandy thesaurus and looked it up.  One of the other words offered for 'faithfulness' was 'steadfast'

I couldn't look it up because I ran out of time and had to leave for work.  But when I looked it up in an online dictionary (Miriam Webster's), this is what I found:

Definition of STEADFAST

1
a : firmly fixed in place : immovable b : not subject to change steadfast doctrine of original sin — Ellen Glasgow>
2
: firm in belief, determination, or adherence : loyal steadfast>
stead·fast·ly adverb
stead·fast·ness \-ˌfas(t)-nəs, -fəs(t)-\ noun

Examples of STEADFAST

  1. He was steadfast in his support of the governor's policies.
  2. steadfast supporter of women's rights>

Origin of STEADFAST

Middle English stedefast, from Old English stedefæst, from stede + fæst fixed, fast
 
Is that amazing, or WHAT???

My goal for this year is for me to be steadfast in living for the Lord.  I want to know Him more.  I want to love Him even more than I already do.  I want to stand firm, fixed and immovable in my faith.  I want my faith to grow as a result of staying secure in His word.  I want Him to be the One I aim to please.  I want Him to be the One who's opinion matters most.  I want to live my life as an example for non-believers.  I want them to see Jesus in me...because let's face it, that may be the only Jesus they ever care to see!  I want Him to use me as a vessel for Him to work through and speak through.  I want my words, my thoughts, my opinions and (most importantly) my actions to be pleasing to Him.  
 
Sounds simple...but it's not.  In order to do this, I have to remember that I have to first deny my self
 
"Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."  Mark 8:34 
 
Sound easy?  Not to me.  It's a daily struggle.  I'm okay with admitting it.  I am a constant work in progress...which is why my word for 2011 for myself is steadfast.  

Another verse that helps me with my daily struggles is this:

Galatians 5:22  "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.  There is no law against these things!

Well, I just wanted to give you a tiny glimpse of how I get through my days.  I just looked at the clock and have to get going if I want to make it anywhere on time today.  Love to all. 

No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...