Thursday, January 20, 2011

Your Day is What You Make It

Mind over matter...pick a phrase you want to use, but the bottom line is...your day (life, job, marriage, insert your own hurdle here) is what you make it.  My pastor says this all the time, and it's one of my favorite quotes ever:

Your attitude is the most important thing you will choose all day. 

Pretty simple, huh?  Call me crazy, but I am not one to believe in karma and all that junk.  I do, however, believe that positive thinking makes a world of difference.  Who wants to be around someone who is a complainer and negative all the time??  I know I don't! 

Working around kids has taught me so much the past three years.  You can accomplish the EXACT same thing when you're nice, rather than being mean.  In fact, when you are nice to "special friends", as we like to call them, you develop a relationship with them that is based on trust. 

I have one kid in mind when I'm writing this...and it was a kid that really got to me all last year.  Every time I was around this child, he would immediately put up his guard, usually resulting in him acting in a way that would guarantee him some attention.  But this year, I approached him with a different mindset, and the relationship we have now is one that thrills my heart.  He trusts me...he knows I'm his friend first and foremost, but he also knows that if he gives me problems, I am forced to take action with his teacher or an administrator. 

There's a relationship there...he knows I love hearing about what he does on weekends and such, but there's also a respect thing going on.  I still have days when I forget all this that I'm writing, and I let every little thing get to me.  Those are the days when I cling to God the most and ask Him for a song to put in my heart so I can focus on the worship chorus, instead of all the crazy going on around me. 

Because, my job is loud.  Have I ever said that before?  And some days it's so...well, I don't know what you would call it, but trust me when I say there are good days and bad days.

Most days are really good, though.  I try to put mind over matter and just push through the day, when it's a rough one.  And, every day is a brand new day.  If God's mercies are new every morning, then so are mine. 

Gotta run...the kiddos need to be woken up.  Love to all and hope your day is blessed!!

No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...