Saturday, August 14, 2010

I am O.V.E.R. the Heat

We had a back2school splash at our church last night.  For the 5th and 6th graders.  My husband, kids and I all went.  When we got to the church, Todd was already there washing off the grill that they were going to be grilling the hot dogs on.  And he was already soaking wet.  He stayed out there forever washing the thing off, then he and another of the dads, Brad, started grilling the hot dogs.  In the 119 heat index heat. 

Bleh. 

It was hotter than haiti.  It's been a whole year since I've sweat that much.  Since our trip to Disney World.  I don't care to do it again for a whole other year, too.  I cannot take it.  I felt so gross and sticky and just nasty.  We were all fighting over the showers when we got home. 

But all of the hot, sticky feelings and all the sweat were worth it.  The kids had SO MUCH FUN.  Ashley Beers (the awesome jr. high pastor) is incredible.  The kids all love her.  She loves kids of all ages, but her heart is with this age group.  The jr. high school group.  We love her.  And would do ANYTHING at all to help her out at these gatherings.  Like grill out and sweat to death when it feels like 119 degrees outside. 

We stayed and helped her clean up after, as well.  Because she would have done it by herself if two of us families hadn't stayed.  I told her when she does another one next month that we'll do the same again.  I have always felt like that it's only right to volunteer wherever your kids are.  If it's the nursery, then that's where you should be.  If it's the kids' area, then volunteer there.  If it's youth, then...well, you get my drift.  Right?  I get a little frustrated with people who never volunteer.  If we would all do our part, then we wouldn't have to do it as often. 

Right?

I visited a church once where the nursery area asked that each mom and dad work one shift in the nursery area.  So many people did this that your shift only came once every 2 or 3 months.  That's not bad, at all.  But some people don't see it that way and are never willing to do their share. 

Okay.  I'm done.  I keep on going off on these little random subjects...like about the teachers with the kindergarten kids...I don't know where they're coming from!

Enough, though.  We came home last night and got all of us showered, and when I finished drying my hair, I went to bed.  At 9:30.  Wanna know what time I woke up this morning?  9:15.  It was glorious.  I guess that "tiredness" that I talked about the other day on facebook, finally hit me.  And now I'm sitting here doing this.  Drew had his friend Nate spend last night with us.  Graham took his friend, Matt, with us as well, but he couldn't spend the night. 

They all got their own breakfast this morning, too, all praise to God!  I love having independent kids.  It's not that I don't do things for them, because I do.  Nothing brings me greater joy than being their mom and cooking their favorite dinners, or surprising them with clean rooms and closets when they come home from school.  (Which I did yesterday.  Not that it's clean right now because of all the boys we had here yesterday, but it was at one point!)  But I love that when I'm not offering breakfast, they just take it upon themselves to get it for themselves.

Jonah came downstairs and asked me if he could have cheese toast for breakfast.  I told him he could, and was about to get up to go make it, when he said, "I've got it, Mom.  Is it okay if I use a knife to cut the crust off?"  To which I answered yes, as long as it was a butter knife. 

See what I mean?  I didn't even have to ask him to do it!  He just did it.  And they're all like that.  Now the others ones won't necessarily want to cook theirs, but I try to keep "easy" stuff (like yogurt, granola bars, yo-go's) on hand so they can grab something quickly. 

We don't have much going on today.  We're going to hang around here until we go to my mom's for dinner.  We're going to do each other's hair.   And we're going to eat an awesome dinner, whatever that may be.  Because it won't be cooked by ME!!

Well, I'm going to go strip sheets off the beds.  I've sat around being lazy long enough.  Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...