Thursday, October 2, 2008

Happy Thursday!

I start today with mixed emotions: I'm happy because I feel so much better, sad because today will be my last day to work in the health room.  BUT happy because I start my new job on Monday.  Yay!  

It's 8:20 on Thursday morning, and all the kids are upstairs getting ready for school.  Drew and I just had "one of those" conversations that really made me proud of him.  He was sitting in the living room and we started talking about school yesterday.  Keep in mind that when Drew gets one on one time, he becomes serious and opens up.  Anyway he told me that yesterday at lunch, this little boy said a bad word.  In our home, the words stupid and idiot are bad, so I didn't know what he was going to say.  But he told me his friend said the word a-s-s-.  Sorry....I hate even spelling that word, but Drew spelled it for me.  

I asked him what happened, and he said it was at lunchtime (joy for me next week), so he didn't get in trouble.  I told him that if he got a chance today when she was not busy to say something about what this kid said.  I really prefer that my children NOT hear words like that, but unfortunately, they do.  He then went on to tell me that this other little boy was always saying God's name in vain....I asked him what the boy said, and Drew told me that.  He told me that all last year and some this year, whenever he would say it, Drew would tell him not to say that, but to say "Oh my goodness" instead.  Drew shocked me with what came out of his mouth next...he said, "That's a commandment.  The Bible says, 'Thou shalt not take the Lord thy God's name in vain.'"  This, coming from Drew, who never says things like this.  And for him to just spout off like that, I was kind of blown away.  

I was so proud.  I told him that...that I was proud of the way he stood up for what he believed in.  I also told him that his teacher seems to have a really bad class this year, and that it would be nice to be extra sweet to her.  This is the teacher Graham had last year, and trust me when I say that she does NOT handle stress well.  I just hope that she accepts and acknowledges what he does...one time before when he said something sweet, she just said, "Andrew, go sit down."  My mommy pride kicked in and I wanted to say something about how inappropriate that was of her.  She should set an example for her young kids, and be thankful for nice words.  BUT I didn't say anything, instead I just started praying harder for her.  And I do every morning...even when I don't want to because of dislike.  She said something to Graham yesterday that I didn't think she should have, about how bad her class was, so this morning I will pray extra hard for her.  =)

You can pray for all these boys and their teacher if you want...they go to public school, so they're exposed to quite a lot...if not by word of mouth, then by the writing on the bathroom wall.  Yeah, I said that.  You would be SHOCKED at what is written on the girl's restroom wall.  Christian schools are not necessarily any better than public...it doesn't matter where they go, we live in a world that will expose them to this stuff no matter what.  All that matters is that at home, we reinforce what we believe in, and why we do things a certain way.  I have explained so many times, that we are different, because Jesus lives in our hearts, and that alone makes us stand out...I also pray every single day, that Jesus will use my boys to show someone what God's love looks like.  And you know what?  I think it has worked...I am finally seeing the benefits of this, the example being in what Drew said to that little boy at lunch yesterday.  I pray that this continues.  Well, I have to go take them to school now.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, this is beautiful. what a sweet moment that must have been for you!! You are raising little men of God. your heart must have been swelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I found your blog after a long and desperate attempt to find some mom's in the public schools who are seeking after the Lord for their kids (trust me, it's been hard...i've been at it for two hours now eeeek!). The Lord has called our family out of homeschooling (i know, shocking eh?) and INTO the public school. I feel he is burdening me to connect these mom's through blogs and support eachother and God's will for our kids.
    Would you be willing and interested in being part of this blog link list?
    blessings,
    alicia
    ps: oh, and fogetting that I'm on a mission here...I really liked what you had to say!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites, 4.26.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...