Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ah, Blessed Weekend

I got my weekend off to a great start.  Well, sort of.  Papa wanted to take the boys to a football game last night, and last night was FACS's last home game, so that's where they went.  They ate hot dogs and corndogs, and who knows what else.  At least I think they ate hot dogs.  I know Graham had a corndog~he told me so the minute he came home.  The sort of part is because I'm sick and don't feel all that great.  

Todd and I took advantage of another child~less night (thanks a ton, Mimi and Papa!), and went to Slayden to eat catfish.  Surprisingly enough, we did not talk about our kids~not even once, if I remember correctly.  That is huge for all your people who have kids and go out on "dates", then spend the whole time talking about kids.  But we didn't.  Actually at one point, our food was taking so long that we were running out of conversation.  Not really, but we both got kind of quiet, and laughed about it saying they'd better hurry, our conversation was running dry.

Todd is working for the sherriff's department all day today and wanted to go to bed early last night.  He had to get up at 6 and leave 30 minutes later to be at the substation at 7.  So we came home, and he immediately retired upstairs to shower and shave and go to bed.  I stayed downstairs and watched a movie by myself.  It would have been pretty sad except that it was an awesome movie, and Todd probably would have hated it.  It was August Rush.  If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend it.  It was so good, that the kids could even watch it.  I think there was one bad word, hence the PG rating, and the child in the movie was a byproduct of a one night stand, but you don't see any of that in the movie.  Seriously, get it.  It's worth it.  Plus the kid in the movie reminded me of Graham throughout the whole thing.  I really think Graham is musically (and otherwise) gifted.  He can pick up any rhthym and is constantly going around tapping out beats on whatever stands still long enough.

I got up at 8 this morning, and sat and watched the food network.  My favorite channel!!!  I watched an hour, then got up and started cleaning out my kitchen cabinets and drawers.  That brings me immense satisfaction....cleaning out and organizing.  I haven't done anything like that since school started, and now that I work I don't have lots of time to do stuff like that.  So this was a much needed thing that needed to be done today.  I have this cabinet that I call the homework cabinet....it's kind of an everything cabinet.  Our medicines are at the very top, cups are below on one side, on the other side is my room mom information and folders with bring home papers from school, and on the bottom is a basket with paper, a ruler, crayons and markers.  On the other side is where we keep all our batteries and my cd's I listen to in the kitchen.  This is the biggest cabinet I have in my house, also, in case you couldn't tell from all that I keep in it.  So you can imagine what it looked like since August.  I could create my own forrest from all the papers Jonah and Noah have brought home since August.  I threw away a trash bag full of stuff....and yes I did get rid of some of their papers.  I have to do that, or I'm convinced I'll get roaches.  I've heard they like paper.  

Then I tackled my junk drawer, silverware drawer (that gets crazy messy), and the tornado closer.  I could not even get in the tornado closet if there was one, so it was in desperate need of a cleaning.  I put games up, organized puzzles and pieces that had gotten knocked out, and straightened up my supply shelf.  This is where I keep all the extra school supplies the kids need throughout the year.  Plus it's where our games (and theirs!) are, our coats are in there, there's a fire safe, and I also keep my wrapping paper in there.  This is a huge closet, too.  We were blessed with that in this house.  We have tons of storage space...I knew I'd need it with 4 kids.  Praise God for extra room, you know what I'm sayin'?!?!

After those things, I came into the living room and cleaned out their art cart and desk.  I have this multi shelf 10 drawer cart on wheels that I dubbed 'the art cart'.  I went through all the drawers and pulled out all their halloween and fall coloring books and fun pads, so they all thought it was Christmas when they came home.  I also cleaned out the desk that serves as a sofa table/desk for them and threw away a bunch of stuff, and restocked it with new paper.   Thanks, Big Daddy for all the paper....we're still using all of it!!!   I think you gave us all that paper three years ago??  

I organized all their crayons and markers, and threw away dead ones and broken ones.  I don't mean dead...I mean markers without ink.  They all thought they'd died and gone to heaven once they got home.  It's true...these are my kids.  This type stuff brings them joy as much as it does me!  I can't help it.  I'm a simple person.  

They asked for friends to come over once they got home, so Graham rode his bike to a friend's house and brought him back home (plus his little brother 30 minutes later....his dad sent him too...guess he thought I needed one more kid in the house), and Drew asked his friend over.  They're all being really good.  They're going home in about an hour, so it's not too bad.  They played outside for a long time, then they went upstairs to have a 'sing off'.  I don't know.  If you have a question, ask Graham.  They must not have liked it b/c they came downstairs awfully quick after they'd started it.  =)

Jonah and Noah have a friend's birthday party to go to tonight, so in a while, we have to go buy a gift, and I'm going to drop them off at the YMCA for Kolby's party.  That statement just makes me want to cry.  My babies aren't babies anymore.  I can't believe I'm taking them and dropping them off.  But they don't want me to stay.  They'll be fine, it's just me being my crazy self.  

Well, if I've bored you to tears, sorry.  I wanted to write a little while it was somewhat quiet in the house.  It doesn't happen often, so I have to take it where I can get it.  Hope you all have a blessed weekend....

2 comments:

Rene' said...

Totally understand the going out to eat & lack of conversation thing...that happens to us sometimes too! I've heard about Slayden & want to go there....is the food good? Something about going out 72 and turning left at a silo? Love ya!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

yeah, that's the one. It's called The Storehouse. It's a hole in the wall, but totally worth the drive and the sacrifice of a nice restaurant. Those are the best places usually. We had fried dill pickles, too, yummy!!! We ate for $23. Cheap food, great entertainment. Our hostess that sat us was 7 yrs. old and a cutie. Her parents are the owners of the place. Ya'll should go sometime. Be advised though, the portions are huge, so don't order as much as you want. Love you!!!

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...